This Gift Certificate is for one mobile 2 hour session, for one person, consists of a 60 minute Aromatherapy Massage, followed by a 60 minute Reiki Treatment, at your location within Kelowna, British Columbia.
Aromatherapy is the controlled use of Essential Oils to maintain and promote physical, psychological and spiritual wellbeing. Once of the most effective and enjoyable methods of utilizing Aromatherapy is to incorporate it with massage. During Aromatherapy Massage, essential oils are added to massage oil and are then applied during a massage. Aromatherapy massage has many benefits, and affects the body in two ways, inhalation and absorption.
The inhalation of aromatherapy oils affects the nervous system, changes heart rate, breathing, digestive functions, stress levels, and triggers memory. Essential oils, when applied to the skin during a massage, absorb through the skin and into the blood vessels and directly into the blood stream. Once in the blood stream, essential oils have a powerful affect on the body. Each essential oil has its own unique properties. They can purify the blood, increase digestion, warm or cool the body, relieve anxiety, increase or decrease heart rate and breathing rate, and re-balance hormones, just to name a few benefits.
Two popular massage styles for Essential oil application are European Lymph Drainage Massage and Swedish Relaxation Massage.
European Lymph Drainage massage is a very light pressure massage whose focus in on stimulating circulation of the lymphatic system, which relieves fluid retention. It is also incredibly relaxing, profoundly peaceful, and one of the most effective ways to relieve stress and stress related illnesses.
Swedish Relaxation Massage is a medium pressure massage that is used to relieve muscle stiffness, reduce muscle tension, increase blood circulation and promote relaxation.
Regular treatments can be beneficial for a wide range of complaints and can affect all the systems of the body - particularly the muscular, circulatory, lymphatic (immune) and nervous systems. It also helps to calm the mind, relax the body and boost energy levels. Essential oils can have an energizing or a relaxing effect. They can relieve pain and relax muscle tissue. They can even work medicinally in the system to help prevent or aid in clearing disease.
Some examples of essential oil blends and their uses include:
Blends made with oils such as marjoram, black pepper, and peppermint can be used in your massage which will help with Fibromyalgia and muscle pain.
Blends made with eucalyptus, pine, and spike lavender can be used to clear out the lungs and sinuses and support respiratory function.
Clary sage, rose, and geranium can be massaged into the skin to help regulate hormone function.
Oils like vanilla, sweet orange, and jasmine can create a euphoric, relaxed feeling.
Reiki is a ancient technique that is generally used to reduce stress and promote relaxation thereby triggering the body's innate healing system. It is based on the belief that life force energy flows through us and is what give us life. Reiki is administered by the therapist holding her hands 1-2 inches above the bodies chakra centers and allowing life force energy to flow through her, to the recipient. If your "life force energy" is depleted, then we are more likely to get sick. If your "life force energy" is high, we are more capable of being in an optimum state of physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health. This mini treatment will cover all of the main chakra centers on the front of the body only.
Aromatherapy Massage & Reiki 2 hr Gift Certificate
Be sure to filll out your new client health questionare honestly and completely. Jennifer needs to be aware of all health conditions that you have to ensure your safety. Failing to do so can have serious consequences, especially when it comes to aromatherapy treatments. Many essential oils are not safe to use with certain health conditions.
Contraindications of Aromatherapy
Although essential oils are natural products, it is still necessary to follow certain precautions when using them. Essential oils are very concentrated and volatile.
- Serious medical conditions that require a referral from a doctor before massages include: heart and circulatory disorders, thrombosis, high and low blood pressure and diabetes
- Avoid using essential oils on babies and children less than 5 years of age.
- Use aromatherapy on children older than 5 years with caution.
- Due to the strong association between smell and memory, special care should be taken when using aromatherapy on patients undergoing chemotherapy or feeling very ill. The smell of the oil may induce nausea, vomiting or negative emotions in subsequent context.
- Allergic reactions are more commonly associated with certain oils including Basil, Fennel, Lemongrass, Rosemary, and Verbena oils.
- Infectious diseases : People suffering from infectious diseases like colds, fever, tuberculosis, flu, measles, and scarlet fever must not be given aromatherapy since they are contagious.
- Skin diseases and sensitivity : Important precautions during aromatherapy relate to skin sensitivity and skin disorders
- Restricted massages (avoid an area) maybe required in certain cases such as – prevalence of scar tissue, skin disorders such as eczema, bruising, varicose veins, cuts and wounds, fractures and sprains.
- High Blood Pressure: Some essential oils are generally best avoided with individuals suffering from high blood pressure (hypertension), although the evidence is by no means certain, especially as soothing massage is known to actually lower blood pressure. However, it is recommended that the following essential oils are avoided during treatment of individuals suffering from hypertension: Hyssop, Rosemary, Sage, and Thyme.
- Low Blood pressure: Individuals with low blood pressure should not be treated with Clary Sage, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Melissa or Ylang Ylang.
- Cancer: Clients with cancer should be treated with great caution. Generally, those with active tumors should not be treated at all, unless with the explicit agreement of their doctor. In these situations, the following oils should be avoided: Anise, Basil, Fennel, Laurel, Myrtle, Nutmeg and Star Anise.
- Epilepsy: Individuals with epilepsy should not be treated with Balsamite, White Camphor, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Sweet Fennel, Hyssop, Peppermint, Rosemary, all types of Sage, Tea Tree or any strong-smelling oil, as there is some risk that an attack could be triggered by the strong odor.
- Asthma: Asthma suffers should be treated with great care, as steam inhalation of essential oils can actually worsen symptoms. Moreover, asthmatics may be allergic to the essential oils themselves. However, certain antispasmodic oils can be used safely if inhaled directly.
- Diabetics should avoid Angelica, Cinnamon, Rosemary.
- Fevers should be treated cautiously if using Balsamite, White Camphor, Garlic, Hyssop, Massoia, Oakmoss, Treemoss and Verbena.
- Clients with Glaucoma should not be treated with Lemongrass, Melissa or Styrax as intra-ocular pressure may be increased.
- Kidney disease can be worsened if nephrotoxic oils such as Indian Dill, Juniper, Parsley Leaf/Seed or Black Pepper are used.
- Cardiac patients should avoid Nutmeg, a heart stimulant.
- Clients with Liver disease should not be treated with Indian Dill, Parsley Leaf/Seed or oils containing Menthol.
- Clients with Prostatic Hyperplasia should not be treated with Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Melissa or Styrax.
- Those clients suffering from acute Lung or Respiratory problems should avoid Garlic, Onion and Sage.
- Clients receiving homeopathic treatments should not be treated with Black Pepper, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Rosemary, as these oils can counteract the affects of homeopathic medicines.
- Migraine : Strong odors can exacerbate migraine symptoms.
- Menstruation : Adbominal cramping during menstruation can be heightened by using essential oils.
Essential Oils During Pregnancy:
Many Essential oils are contraindicated in pregnancy due to the potential toxicity to the mother and fetus and the risk of triggering spontaneous abortion.
Any essential oil that is considered safe for use during pregnancy should always be diluted to half the usual strength, because the growing fetus is much more sensitive than an adult would be and also because women are much more likely to suffer dermal reactions during pregnancy than at other times.
- Some oils, such as Clary Sage and Juniper, are emmenagogues, which stimulate the uterus and carry a small associated risk of miscarriage.
- Essential oils that should be avoided in pregnancy include Ajowan, Angelica, Anise Star, Aniseed, Basil, Bay Laurel, Calamintha, Cedarwood, Celery Seed, Cinnamon leaf, Citronella, Clary Sage, Clove, Cumin, Eucalyptus, Sweet Fennel, Hyssop, Juniper, Labdanum, Lovage, Marjoram, Myrrh, Nutmeg, Parsley, Rosewood, Snakeroot, Spanish Sage, Tarragon and White Thyme.
- Lavender, Peppermint, Rose and Rosemary are also best avoided during the first trimester.
Swedish Relaxation Massage and/or European Lymph Drainage Massage should not be given to anyone with the following physical disorders or conditions:
- Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Broken Bones, Fractures , Dislocations, or Severe sprains
- Contagious Diseases
- Open or Unhealed Sores or Wounds
- Inflamed, Swollen or Bruised Tissues (these areas will be avoided)
- Varicose Veins
- Recent Surgery
- Severe Pain
- Kidney Disease
- Large Hernias (area must be avoided)
- Torn Ligaments, Tendons, or Muscles (area must be avoided)
- High Blood Pressure or Heart Problems
- Cancer (Must have doctors clearance)
- History of Phlebitis or Thrombosis (These patients may have blood clots that may become dislodged and travel to the lungs, with potentially fatal results.)
- Drug treatment with Blood Thinners (These medications increase the risk of bleeding under the skin.)
Reiki while being a very safe therapy, does have a few situations where it should be avoided:
- Undiagnosed injuries & illnesses
- Broken bones that have not been set
- Contagious illnesses (including cold & flu) as to not spread to therapist
- Schizophrenia - May increase syptoms and cause distress.
- Type 1 Diabetes - The recipient must check blood sugar levels proir to and after receiving a Reiki treatment. The Reiki may cause the pancreas to resume its natural ability to produce Insulin, which could result in insulin overdose if insulin is also injected when not needed. If they noticed any significant change they should check with their doctor to see if they need to change their medication.
- Pacemaker - Reiki has been know to effect the functioning of pacemakers.
- Hearing Aids - Reiki will cause feedback in Hearing Aids. The recipient should remove all hearing aids prior to receiving Reiki.